Monday, March 5, 2012

Discussion with Guru Rewben Mashangv


(Guru Rewben Mashangva, based in Imphal, is one of the most popular and respected indigenous Naga musicians of the country.  He is a singer, songwriter, musician, folk music researcher and maker of indigenous musical instruments.  He plays guitar, a bamboo flute known as Yangkahui the Tingteila (folk fiddle) and his cow-bell percussion.  He adapts old Naga folk songs for modern listeners).

Background:
For ages the tribal people in the Northeast region of India lived a dignified and respectful life, rich in culture and with very limited exposure to the external world.  Unfortunately in the process of colonization and consolidation of the British empire, the tribal people were looked own upon as primitive and savage, their culture and way of life was threatened.  Due to the lack of appreciation for the cultural diversity and richness as well as subsequent attempts made by the Indian stage to mainstream and homogenize, the pluralities and particularities of tribal cultural forms and expressions were severely challenged and some were pushed to the verge of extinction.  Today their world views, ways of life, music, songs, dances and folklore are challenged further by other cultural forms that are being mainstreamed, resulting in loss of many of their distinct identity markers and many tribal people have begun to ape the mass culture that is being propagated by market forces through mainstream media, thereby becoming photo-copies of a henomonic mass-culture and losing their originality, their perspective and ways of seeing and living in this world. 
I want to revive and promote this dying culture.  I have researched and collected musical instruments, songs, dances etc. and improvised them to make them relevant.  My aim is not only preserving but also promoting this invaluable cultural heritage. (From “Our Story” by Rewben Mashangva)

Do you know of any Thangkul artists or sculptors?
We do have a few very good talented artists.  I can think of one, he is in a remote area, the Komjong Subdivision of Ukhrul District.  He carves animals – tigers and buffaloes fighting.  We live very scattered.  There are a few writers, but not many.  Storytelling was an oral tradition, as we only recently became literate.  Our people are not protecting our culture and soon it will be gone.  That the educated people go away and make a living outside is also not helpful for our culture. 
The hornbill….once our people understood the weather patterns by looking at the flight of the hornbill bird, according to its height and path.  It was very important when faced by possible famine.  Nowadays people depend on the Government if they fall on hard times.  The Nagas are celebrating the Hornbill Festival but they have no idea about their connection with the hornbill.

What about the folktales?
Our stories have moral lessons and they are about the things we have around us.  Until recently my community has not realized the need to do something original they would just imitate.  So many PhD students have come and asked me about things but I told them nothing.  The students go and speak to intellectuals and read a lot of books but they do not know the reality from experience.  I am not well educated so they won’t believe me when I tell.  They will not trust me, nor do I trust them.  Now all the old guys are gone.  I do not write in English, I write in my own Thangkul language…I did not write down the stories but I remember some of them.  In some of the tribes there is this belief that some men can transform into other creatures such as a tiger. 

There is a story that relates to this:  There was once a poor lazy boy who went out hunting small birds.  To do this he would collect a particular seed (Nei).  He would boil it, mash it and paste it on sticks and birds would stick to it.  One day he caught a very small bird. It was too small to satisfy his appetite, and besides it begged to be spared, offering him special good luck in exchange.  Three three angels would come and bathe in the pond and the poor boy was able to catch one of the angels and he married her.  One day he went up to the heavens to visit his divine in-laws and when he returned he brought back all the seeds and grains for the world.  We say that those people who have magical powers are the offspring of this union with an angel.
It is so important for the youth to be in touch with art.  My son performs with me and I want to give him exposure to art as it will enrich his life.  The songs are new each time I sing them and for me this is art. 
I am financially not well off, but the meals are provided by the creator. For years I chased after money but now I have given up and I live for the moment.  I tell my son, “you are my heir, study hard and do well, but a deeper understanding of life is also required too”.  I do not have any place to rehearse so I play solo with my son.  Many young people have said they want to join me.  My father was not a musician, he was a carpenter but he did play the bamboo trumpet.  We have a lot of bamboo here and the instruments can be played and disposed of.   I am also good with woodwork and for a while I made handicrafts but what I really enjoy is music.  I carve all my percussion instruments. 
I am really interested in listening to the old guys.  I travel from village to village by foot to meet them.  Now our people and those in other parts of India are appreciating fusion music, and like me, they are turning to their roots.  Church is a dominant force here.

No comments:

Post a Comment